Is your house looking a little sad, feeling a bit drab, or just plain out of date? It’s important to update your home especially if you’re the one that’s hosting the holiday dinners and gatherings! We have you covered though! From changing up your furniture, adding new window treatments, or just having that holiday smell, these are simple ways to update your home!
Update Your Furniture
Starting fresh can be very costly, fortunately giving your current furniture a facelift doesn’t have to break the bank.
- Try buying or making slipcovers for the sofa,
- Reupholstering couch cushions and dining room chairs,
- Refinishing dated woodwork with a new stain,
- Adding trendy pillows and throws, or
- De-cluttering rooms stuffed with unnecessary pieces.
New Coat of Paint
Make your home inviting simply by changing the paint colors.
- Painting your front door a color like toasted cranberry, artichoke green, or calming charcoal will welcome your guests,
- Repaint dark wall colors to a soft beige, or light grey, or
- Simply add a fresh coat of paint to baseboards, crown molding, or doors in heavy traffic areas to freshen the look from years of wear and tear.
Update the Powder-Room
Almost every guest that enters your home will pay at least one visit to your powder-room.
- Replace cheap looking brass fixtures, towel racks, and faucets for as low as thirty dollars with brushed nickel, or stainless steel fixtures,
- Purchase new linens, bath mats, or shower curtains, or
- Trade light bars for elegant sconces and softer lighting.
Update the Window Treatments
Dark, old drapes can make a room feel smaller, dirty, and claustrophobic, adding new window treatments will give the room a classic, bright new look.
- Try decorative valances, and cornices in great rooms,
- Add timeless shutters to front and kitchen windows, or
- Add light, airy drapes in guest rooms.
Make Your Home Smell Great
Don’t forget about one of the most important senses, smell! Here are some things to make your home smell like the holiday for when family and friends visit!
- Burning a candle or wall plugin air freshener can make all of the difference. Try scents like apple, vanilla, and gingerbread,
- Clean out the cabinets,
- Run bleach through the washer, dishwasher, and disposal, and
- Throw away all leftovers, and clean out the fridge and freezer a few hours before company arrives.