If you are tired of the full drapery “look,” not to mention the dry cleaning bills every year, the taking down and the re-hanging, then perhaps you are ready for something “cleaner” looking in window treatments. Perhaps you are ready to consider window shades!
Years ago, shades were pretty boring. They came in neutral colors, on rollers, and there were a minimum of fabric and texture choices; they tore easily, and were considered a “poor man’s” alternative to more expensive drapes. The entire shade industry has since been revolutionized, however, and they now can make a major décor statement in any room. As you look into shades as an option, consider the following benefits:
- Fabric varieties: From faux wood, wood, and fabric to synthetic materials, shades can now satisfy any customer taste. Great patterns and designs can complement any décor – from traditional prints to modern geometrics. In fact, a custom window treatment retailer can even provide pillows and upholstery options that will carry your fabric theme to other spots in the room!
- Light variety: Most people purchase shades with a consideration of the amount of light that comes in through each window in their homes. Thus, if one wants daylight to brighten a room, a translucent material is preferable. In a bedroom, however, in which early morning light may not be ideal, shades that block daylight can be fabricated using a wide variety of materials, including linings.
- Style variety: Do you want a sleek flat look or a pleated look? Shades can now accommodate these tastes quite well. And, one can even determine the size of pleats for a shade that is custom-made. Generally, larger windows will take larger pleats quite well, while a smaller window will tolerate smaller pleats. The choice is yours if you have them custom-designed!
- Color variety: Need to make a splash is an otherwise neutral and potentially boring room? Shades are the perfect answer, because they come in all colors and designs. Suppose you have a couch that is striped, and you want to accent a color from that stripe. Selecting a window shade of that color will be a perfect means to highlight it and bring coordination to the room. Matching pillows complete the look! A custom window treatment retailer can bring samples of colors and fabrics into your home, so that your selection will be perfect!
- Opening options: Traditionally, shades opened only from the bottom, but this single option was not convenient for certain rooms. Suppose, for example, one has a bathroom window and does not want to allow outside viewing by raising a shade or opening blinds. A top-down opening shade is the perfect solution for letting light in and yet maintaining privacy. In fact, if one wishes privacy in all of his/her rooms, the top-down option is ideal. Some shades have both top-down and bottom-up options, and this may also be ideal, dependent upon the room and light requirements.
- Maintain formality of a room with drape/shade combinations. Perhaps you want the formal look of drapes, but do not like the idea of a heavy drape blocking too much light or fading with time. An excellent option is to have drapery panels on either side of a window, perhaps a swag at the top, and then complementary shades in a rich fabric. The effect can be stunning!
You owe it to yourself to check out the great newer options that shades can bring to your decorating. Visit a custom showroom, enlist the services of an in-home decorator, and give your entire home a facelift at a relatively reasonable price!