The kitchen is more than just a space in which to cook. It is a gathering place for family, social activities, and receiving guests. It is a central part of the home. Decorating your kitchen can be challenging. Whether your kitchen is small or large, there are a number of things you can do to create a welcoming space. It should be functional as well as inviting. Here are some tips for decorating the kitchen.
Color is an essential part of your kitchen decor. Because there is generally not a lot of furniture or knickknacks in the kitchen, your color scheme is crucial. There are two ways to approach adding color. There is the main focus color and complementary colors. Here are some ways to add color to your kitchen.
- Paint – Because your cabinets take up most of the space, do not be afraid to paint the walls a bright color. You can even paint the ceiling.
- Accessories – Accessories are a great way to add a splash of color. Brightly colored small appliances, place mats, flowers, or a runner are perfect ways to add a little spice to your kitchen.
- Back splash – Consider installing a colorful back splash.
- Art – There typically is not much wall space available to display artwork. However, one large piece or a few small pieces of artwork on the wall will add character and color.
A small kitchen create unique challenges. It is difficult to decorate these spaces when they are cramped. It is important to visually open these areas. There are several ways to decorate small kitchens to help create the appearance of a larger room.
- Scale – Make sure that everything in the kitchen is to scale. In other words, you do not want large items in a small kitchen. Your cabinets, furniture, and appliances should all be appropriately sized.
- Color – Your colors should to be light. White is a great choice for small kitchens. White bounces the light, giving the space a bigger appearance. This color requires more cleaning as white shows dirt easily. Silver or muted appliances work well in these small spaces. Add texture to the paint to create, depth.
- Cabinets – Floor to ceiling cabinetry will make the room appear larger. Removing cabinet doors or using glass doors will also make the space appear more open. It is necessary to keep items inside the cabinets very neat if you choose to remove or use glass doors.
- Floors – Large tiles make the room seem bigger. A striped rug in the narrowest part of the space will also accomplish this.
- Glass and mirrors – Keep any windows visible and add mirrors to the space. Some people install a mirrored back splash to make a small kitchen appear larger.
The most important aspect of decorating your kitchen is to reflect your personality. Choose colors and items that make you feel good. The kitchen is full of activity so it needs to be very functional. Your layout and functional design qualities should be priority. Beyond that, it is in your hands to create the perfect kitchen for you.